Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: question about pro8mm?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member imissedthesixties's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 11th, 2002
    Posts
    23
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    Uh,

    I was kinda wondering people's opinions about Pro8mm's site and products. Anyone reccommend it, or is it a waste of time?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Jerome Cain's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2002
    Posts
    159
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    what about pro8mm camera? is it worth to have one?

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Hanthx's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 27th, 2000
    Posts
    420
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    No

    Take it from a guy who worked there.

    If your looking for a decent camera, ask the people on this board.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Nigel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2000
    Posts
    1,668
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    No--Nothing that Pro8 offers is worth anything unless you put value on a pile of dog crap.

    They are crooks and I feel have done more to destroy Super8 than Kodak.

    Good Luck

  5. #5
    Inactive Member MovieStuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 28th, 2001
    Posts
    847
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Nigel:
    No--Nothing that Pro8 offers is worth anything unless you put value on a pile of dog crap. They are crooks and I feel have done more to destroy Super8 than Kodak.</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Aw, come on. Don't mince words, Nigel. Tell us how you REALLY feel. [img]smile.gif[/img]

  6. #6
    TA 152
    Guest TA 152's Avatar

    Post

    I believe it dependes on your movie projects in the first place.

    Probably nothing beats Roger Movistuff?s services for video transfer (Quality/value) from Kodachrome K40 if that fits to your projects.

    Check:http://www.afterimagephoto.tv/moviestuff.html

    I am awaitng the results from PRO8mm on a batch film project so I can post the result when I get it. The cost however is much higher.

    If you want to shoot neg film there might be other services that are transfering your film to video cheaper than PRO8mm. Maybe someone else know economic services around.


    R

  7. #7
    TA 152
    Guest TA 152's Avatar

    Post

    Well, I know the criticism towards P8 form earlier postings but I have only very good experience with them so far. Their service support from USA and UK divison has been excellent this far on my test batch.

    I belive, on a general basis, that some of the problems run into vs P8 might be based partly on misunderstandings or bypassing of information initially which again might have caused some of the problems posted earlier.

    Example:When I return my PRO8mm films for processing and transfer I have to add very detailed information on some stuff like that I need 25 fps PAL DV copied on the casette.

    If I did not point that out precisely I?d expect to get NTSC copies. I bet they would not re-do that for free?. If I do not provide detailed information the chances will rise dramatically that I will not get what I need or expect.

    Their services are expensive but not more than other companies in EUROPE offering the same services as far as I know so I do not think they "overprice" it.

    R

  8. #8
    Inactive Member chas_ucla's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 13th, 2000
    Posts
    345
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Every 3 months...this subject again... ;]

    I believe Matt Pacini had some good experiences with Pro 8mm...they were quite kind and helpful...where are you Matt?

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Matt Pacini's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2001
    Posts
    567
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by S8 Booster:
    Well, I know the criticism towards P8 form earlier postings but I have only very good experience with them so far.
    R
    </font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Yes, and the German people had pretty good experiences with this guy named Hitler for a while.

    First of all, there is no such thing as a "Pro8mm" camera.
    They buy Beaulieu cameras, then put stickers with their name on them, and sell them pretending to be the builders of them.
    I've even heard some people say they swore they actually manufacture the things, which is obviously total B.S.

    They have come up with a couple clever products, namely the stipping of 35mm film into S8 film, blah blah blah.
    But they charge at least 3 times what anyone else does for everything they sell, have the worst service I've ever seen, short of the Federal Government or the DMV.
    They are liars, and they basically don't give a rat's behind if you have any problems with something you bought there if it breaks, etc., and if you send them something that isn't even broken, they will "fix" it for you and charge you an arm and a leg.

    Other than that, they're terrific.

    Use ebay, and people on this board as resources for equipment, etc.

    Matt Pacini

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Konton's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 1st, 2000
    Posts
    189
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Matt Pacini:
    They have come up with a couple clever products, namely the stipping of 35mm film into S8 film, blah blah blah.
    But they charge at least 3 times what anyone else does for everything they sell, have the worst service I've ever seen, short of the Federal Government or the DMV.
    Matt Pacini
    </font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

    I have to agree here. $35 for film and process is a bit much (I'd hesitate to say three times when you think about how much it would cost you to get Kodak negative developed and processed). But on the good side their people are not always on their game.

    I just bought 10 cartridges of Por8mm 800ASA film. With shipping it came to almost $400! But the guys in shipping must have screwed up. I didn't get 10 cartridges. I got 20! I'd say $17.50 is a good price for negative film with processing. Now I need to get shooting!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •